Tuesday, March 25, 2008

3/26/08 - Things are constantly evolving

As I mentioned the beginning of this blog in February, Art projects like this - in which the piece basically consists of establishing a system and organization, then following it through production - are constantly changing as though the project itself is a living being.

The very first proposal involved more people from many different places. I was thinking about calling for children artists from all over the five boroughs. However, after visiting so many times and so many religious organizations I am more aware of their characteristics. Religious places are highly private, although that does not mean they avoid outsiders; rather welcoming.

So, bringing a bunch of kids from everywhere might disturb their practices. I noticed that my initial plan probably came from my idea of what religious spots are like from my experiences in Japan. Japanese temples are pretty much tourist spots. So, anonymous people come in and out on a daily basis. We never felt anything odd.

But, here at least in Flushing, Queens, the religious organizations are very actively engaging with their believers, also holding many youth group activities such as dance, sports, music, etc. beyond their service.

I paid attention to their youth programs. This was also one of the good suggestions from the exhibition curator, Hitomi. While visiting and understanding each religious organization, I talked to each youth program/school director. This process required a good one month to meet due to their busy schedule and other elements.

After experiencing with the children, I was interested in the honesty of their voices and interactions with me as they worked on their drawings. That gave me a new idea.

What if the High School students who are going to build small pavilions about each religious site, will meet the children who drew about their religion instead of with religious leaders?

And, instead of learning the ABCs of each religion, why don't I let them talk to each other based on the children's drawing?

As the high school students are developing ideas through the building sessions, they will have more and more questions about and interest in each religion. Then, having them talk to much younger children might give us another idea, revealing a different facet of each religion in the end.

Today, I briefly discussed about some logistics with the curator, Hitomi Iwasaki, at Queens Museum. She questioned me about this process.

"Are you thinking about letting High School students meet the children who drew the pictures before the students finish building pavilions or after?"

This changes the effect and meaning of the project, I guess. As this project is intense schedule-wise, I might have to do it before the pavilions are done.

For instance, the Temple Gates (Jewish) have large holidays towards the end of April. We might have to meet children before then, during the time the High Schoolers are building the pavilions.

By the way, a huge issue is how I can manage to find a meeting time while many other religious organizations are also quite busy in the Spring.

Yes, High School students, too, are becoming busier towards the end of School.

Let's cross our fingers again.

No comments: