Monday, March 17, 2008

3/17/08 - How Much I know Little


I did not know Palm Sunday.
I did not know Purim.
I did not know Hamantashen.

Not knowing is not so much of an issue, though. I am sure I am familiar with so many things related to Buddhism since my Grandma was a serious believer and I majored in Buddhist Art History at college.

But knowing certain calender events might make one better able to respect and understand others, and feel something different.

I wonder then how it is different. Maybe not on our side, but rather from the perspective of those who believe that religion. Like if you speak Japanese fluently as the foreigner, Japanese will be surprised yet feel more comfortable and close to you.

Likewise, whether or not you address how much you know something about their religion, probably you will be better able to react appropriately and therefore give them less intenseness and nervousness.

I have not had any negative experiences through this project so far. However, that is something I am beginning to feel as I try to figure out how to organize this project with them.

When Laura instructed children to make Hamantashen, she made sure children make it triangular shape as she explained why. That way, children will learn the historical tales in their
religion without relying on rote learning.

They were really enjoying making cookies (Hamantashen).
Their smile and joyful screams made me so happy either way.

Hamantashen Links -1 -2

http://kosherfood.about.com/od/glossaryofjewishfoods/g/hamantashen.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamentashen





Oh, today was St. Patrick's Day as well. I noticed when I saw Empire State building.

No comments: