Wednesday, March 12, 2008

3/12/08 - a bit more Progress -1 (Synagouge)

Fortunately my current job is flexible because of my boss is very generous.
I truly feel lucky that I am able to focus on this project that requires so much
coordination. Thanks Carol!

Anyway, I went to bed late and got up early to visit Flushing today.
It was not sunny and it made me so blue.

First I went through all the religious organization lists that I had
researched through the internet over the past three nights to make certain
my map was correct. For the best luck, I decided which ones I should go to first
and marked them in order. By the way, Flushing is very much an Asian town right now,
so it is pretty easy for me to find a quick rest at bakery/coffee shops which are
similar to Japanese ones. In this case, as an Asian, it is a pretty convenient town.

I went to a couple of places that I already visited to take some photos from
outside. Then, walked to Kissena Blvd. to look for a Synagogue.
I went too far at first, but then I found it. It is very large and looks like a very historical
temple. The main entrance was closed, so went into the high school (I guess)
next door. At the office, I met Mrs. Edith Siegle.

Another artist, Tattfoo it seemed, had already visited there. Mrs. Siegle began talking about
his work and seemed confused. I explained to her from the beginning, precisely what my project is. Despite the fact she seems pretty much on the older side, her posture is very straight, and she remembers well. She explained to me the service (Shabbat) schedule and
told me about Purim and what they generally do on weekly schedule. (I asked her age, although it is rude, and she smiled saying she did not count after 50. I like that!)

She invited me to the next Shabbat on Friday evening, and I will try to go to see how they do and who their members are. In the hallway, several photos, images of past Board members, and news articles lined the wlls. It looks like a very historical temple and the members seem to be quite elderly people. She mentioned they only have two children so they cannot do any
drawing sessions themselves.

No comments: