Wednesday, March 12, 2008

3/12/08 - A Bit of Progress (Hindu temple)

Hindu Temple Society of North America is the one we visited as a group during the first trips. I got in touch with the public relation person, Mr. G.P. two days ago and visited there again. He said his name is long and difficult to pronounce, so I should use the abbreviation.

While waiting, I carefully walked around and observed each of the dieties and the relief sculpture. At a glance, it looked like casting of some sort, but when I looked through the connected elephants along the bottom of one of the sculptures on the wall, I noticed it was hand curved. Every single elephant is very much alike but slightly different. They must be handmade
one by one.

Later, Mr. GP told me it is a cement relief sculpture painted gray later. Personally, since I studied Buddhist Art History a long time ago, I was very curious about all the details. Since the room does not have so much light, you cannot see well, but that also makes it a good place to calm down.

He was very passionate about their current expansion project. He showed me the future entrance which has 16 columns that represent 16 gods. He said they hired sculptors to carve each god on them.

Back to my project with them, he was quite comfortably saying as long as I can avoid the busiest pray time, it should not be a problem to participate, and their school children might be able to visit other religious organizations to do drawings. Very nice.

Next Sunday, I am coming back to the temple to meet the educator and discuss the possibilities.

In Hinduism, they normally practice individually so there is no formal service. However, Saturday morning to 1 pm are quite crowded. Actually, the room is not so large, so if people walk around the dieties as well as sit down and pray, it must be quite packed.

I do not remember who said that, but I heard that the temple is very authentic, even more than the ones in India. Mr. G.P. proudly mentioned the temple is the oldest in North America.

The temple is located on the corner of Holly Avenue and Smart Street. Just a couple blocks from Kissena Blvd.

I am getting excited about meeting the children and the possibilities
of including drawings by them...

No comments: