Wednesday, March 12, 2008

3/12/08 - A Bit of Progress (Temple Gates)

The Temple Gates is located in the very center of Flushing downtown, on Parsons Blvd., across the street from the Sikh Center.

I called the temple two days ago and Rabbi Thaler briefly talked with me and invited me to come to his office around four.

Security was very tight. The first door was unlocked, but the second one was like some private house: it had an intercom and I had to wait for them to unlock the door. Compared to any of the other religious places I visited, it was very modernized and well maintained with almost an hotel-like atmosphere. All the detail of the design looked very decisive. I was amazed by how organized-looking it was.

Rabbi Thaler came to greet me and invited me to his office. It was exactly like a professor's office at university. So many books in shelves around him. His desk was piled, full of books, note pads, pen and more.

He started out by asking me why the Queens Museum of Art was doing the celebration of the Flushing Remonstrance this year. The 350 years celebration was last year, he noted, and the religious community had organized so many events and even many symposiums at Queens College. Hmm, I had no idea how I should answer this. But, then I assumed the museum had their own events and program booked already and scheduled the show to fit into the museum's schedule, but once they saw the events, perhaps they thought it would be a great idea to do some community-based art projects. Thus we artists are now approaching these religious institutions. After talking with the Rabbi, however, I do wish they could have organized this project in time to coincide with the religious organizations' cerebration of the 350th anniversary of the Remonstrance document.

Well, maybe celebrating this important document twice might be good:)

Rabbi Thaler giggled that it was not my fault, so let's begin discussing my project.
I explained my proposal.

He was very thoughtful. First, he said in their religion, during services, no one can write or draw.

I was really surprised. I did not know that. (!!!!)

Rabbi Thaler seemed not so concerned. He suggested that we do drawings at the youth program. He also mentioned that the youth group recently visited Jerusalem, Israel. They probably have many fresh memories and experiences that they can express by drawing.

That sounds great!

Anyhow, we talked about the Wailing Wall briefly then left for today.
I will meet the instructor next Sunday, hopefully, and we will do drawing
sessions the week after that meeting.

No comments: