Tuesday, February 19, 2008

2/15/08 - Meeting with Public School Educators


Last Friday morning (2/15), I was invited to have a meeting and give a formal presentation of my project to a group of public school educators that have a partnership with the QMA Education program.

-------------------
Actually, I forgot one meeting that happened before this presentation, so let me start there.

Previously, on January 31, I had a third discussion with Hitomi and Lauren Schloss, the director of the Education department. When I walked through the museum with Hitomi (1/13), she had mentioned their great art education program. That had also helped inspire my project. So, Hitomi and Lauren discussed with me the possibilities for realizing my project with the help of the education department.

Lauren seemed very passionate about education for kids and teenagers. I was excited and appreciate her input. She listened carefully and asked very precise questions.

"So, I understand the intention of not directing the children while they are drawing at a temple, but then when do they actually learn the reality of that religion, and not the misinformed version they created for themselves?"

That question was honestly one that I had not really expected simply because I felt that elementary students would learn best through their eyes and then later correct what impressions they had taken by visiting the information sessions/performances held by Junior High School students at the opening (5/18).

However, as part of an education program, I guess leaving things this vague might not be good for kids. It is hard for me to tell as I am not teaching Art to kids professionally.

She said that students might be confused about the religions through the process of my project,
and left separated from the truth, might create their own concept. I think she said something like this. Then, she suggested that we might collect any questions coming from the kids during
their drawing sessions and later use such questions to teach them about each religion.

This is something I always appreciate learning from professionals. I am not an amature but do not have enough experience to be so professional. I do not want to simply use kids for my
project. I really would like students to learn something new while enjoying artistic creativity.

We had a pretty detailed discussion over a good two and half hours!
Lauren was pretty nice. I got a good feeling from her.
Then, I got email invitation to give presentation to public school educators.
Sounds Great!

-------------------

So, Lauren nicely gave me opportunity to talk to public school educators to find out about the possibility of working with them somehow.

Well, the result was unfortunately, simply, "NO..." but not because the project didn't interest them. It is simply because they cannot touch the topic of religion due to the current interpretation of the separation of church and state.

I had heard of that before. But, as an foreigner, I was totally shocked by the degree to which this affect life, and specifically education, here. I simply did not know this reality.

When I presented the project idea initially, I was encouraged by the educators' reactions. They mostly seemed to say that this project sounded like a very good way for kids to learn about religions. Also, they said learning about them as Elementary, Junior high and High school students, rather than later, was an interesting idea. I was confused. If that is a good idea, why couldn't you help us?

After the meeting, we had lunch and I had a chance to talk to a couple of educators.
Essentially, at public school, which is regulated by the city government, they cannot teach anything directly, or even really remotely related to religion.

One Principle said that her school used to decorate a Christmas tree and celebrate Hanukka, but now we won't be able to do so. Instead, they simply hold a "winter celebration" and never teach anything about the actual holidays.

My question that came up after this was how they teach historical events
or cultural beliefs that are related to religion. They told me that they have to come up with teaching materials that are purely "cultural studies" and are not specifically or obviously about religion.

I actually agree that teaching one specific religion might cause discrimination toward
other religions. But, we cannot possibly teach hundreds of different religions at the same time.
However, if we don't generally discuss at least the major world religions how and when can young students have a chance to learn or interact with such interesting and varied beliefs, or realize their effect on different cultural and historical events and artifacts.

The principle said that that is why they have to think hard to come up with ideas of what to teach that are not directly speaking of religion but still touch on its real impact on our world.

I asked if I there could be any way to explain everything in my project as a cultural study and so that I could work with public school students. They again simply said, "NO." In my project's case, students would be meeting a religious leader, even if they were simply drawing from pictures of a religious space that I took in advance. Oh wow, despite the fact that, in front of the schools, there are more than 300 real example of religious organizations, they have to use second hand material to learn! I simply never imagined this.

Personally, again, this was very new experience as Japanese person.
This is quite new to let me think about the meaning of "separation of church and state."

In short,
my project is already in tough situation....!
I will need to find students from somewhere else.

No comments: