Friday, April 11, 2008

4/10/08 - Building Session (Kneeling or Standing?)


This evening was, I guess, the first day of building after the high-school students began analyzing the children's drawings and listed out what they saw. I would like to share their commentary sheets but I am still in the process of catching up on everything day-by-day as a part-time installer and full-time artist. Please wait, or you can come check out the work-in-progress at the exhibition in the Queens Museum of Art.

6 Teens came this time - that made me so glad. They have extremely busy schedules, almost like top-notch business people, so coming to the museum three times a week is too much. Almost all of them looked ready to nap when they arrived. I felt sorry, but we went to my exhibition space to check out the booth they will be decorating.

It is very tiny.
Only one person fits inside, but that is plenty of space.

We then discussed what they want to draw.
Fairly quickly, the subject settled on one portrait each of a man and a woman, based on the children's drawings as well as the symbol of the religion and calligraphy that the children had included.

One thing I got interested in was:

Hannah asked me if the woman, who would be kneeling down and praying, should be
much larger than usual size or not because the man, who would be holding a sword, will be standing and thus much bigger than the woman. She does not want to draw the woman smaller than the man, feeling that that would make her subordinate. She wondered if she should draw the woman standing instead. I felt that her description and question accurately indicated a female's feelings about that matter.

So, I said I was unable to answer that for her, but that she herself just now answered
what she thought and that is a great and understandable reasoning, so she should consider how important that is to her in making her decision.

I cannot explain this moment as precisely as I wish I could. But, it was very curious.

In the end, she and her classmates drew a slightly larger woman kneeling while other student drew a man holding a sword.

No comments: