Monday, April 7, 2008

4/7/08 - Drawing Session



Today, I visited the Muslim center of NY in Flushing. The elementary school principle Mrs. Farooqi nicely discussed my project with their educators and found time for it. I went to the class room and about 20 or so students waited for me. Their smiles never made me nervous. So amazing. I am usually becoming quite nervous in front of people.

I explained the overall exhibition concept and the reasoning behind it and then, asked them to

"Please close your eyes and imagine what you feel about your religion, think about it or what experience you had before with or without friends..."

I also closed my eyes to think about it together. Then letting them remember what they saw in their minds I asked them to draw it.

Amazingly, they were quite excited. I am glad.
The girls and boys both asked if they could worktogether with friends.

"Yes!" I answered.

"Yaay!"

Most of girls went to the far back of the room on the floor. The floor was carpeted with a nice pattern. The boys stayed on the table to work together first, and then some spread out.

I asked the teacher how old they are when they generally understand the concept of their religion and apply it more to their daily life. She thinks mostly around junior high level but that before that, students will comprehend one-by-one literal knowledge. The practice of the religion, itself, will begin after 10th grade. (I did not write it down, so I might not be 1oo% accurate in terms of what she told me, though.)

Then, I felt maybe they understand more unconsciously. She said it is possible, but then
probably they cannot express it themselves well. I guess that may be so.

When I asked what they drew and why, most of children answered me with:

"Peace"

I was so glad that is how I received from their drawings. Very peaceful drawings.

I cannot wait to share them with Teens and viewers at the Queens Museum of Art.

------------------

This project is an on-going collaboration with multiple religious organizations, being displayed at the Queens Museum of Art as part of their new exhibition: "This Case of Conscience”: Spiritual Flushing and the Remonstrance. It will concluded with a performance by the Teens on May 18, 2008.

No comments: