Tuesday, April 1, 2008

4/1/08 - Thought after meeting with High school students

Over the weekend while I de-installed the piece from my previous show, I have been thinking about last Thursday's meeting with the High school students.

When I visited Hindu temple last Saturday for a meeting with educators about the drawing sessions, I talked about this.

I guess it would be fine one way or the other. That is my current feeling. However, I am would like to hear students give some of their own feedback before receiving instruction. If they just do whatever they are asked, although they may be more correct, that is not really showing how one learns or thinks, and that is not what I wanted to do with them.

Then, I thought it might be more interesting and constructive if students discuss and list up what they are not sure about with the drawings and meet the young artists (children) to ask them those question and then talk further about the drawings and their religions.

Due to the program's schedule, it could be just after they started building or, in a few cases, before, though. I called Laura, the education dept. coordinator at QMA. She was fine and a bit relieved since she got the feeling and feedback from the students about their confusion after the last session. Also, she said they also learn and are trained how to critique and analyze other artwork through their program, so this relates to what they generally do in this program. We thought this might be interesting opportunity, then.

I myself learn and am learning so much about how I can read kids' drawings and for some reason I found that the same eye can be applied to contemporary artwork, too.

Just before this phone conversation, I was able to get in touch with an educator at the Muslim Center in NYC and confirmed the date of the drawing session at the mosque next week.

This Thursday, the High School students and I will closely look at the drawings to try and read further information from them and list up questions, while I will finish up the frames of the pavilions.

Now this project seems to be moving forward a lot.
We'll see how the High School students (teens) work on this.
Exciting!

No comments: